- During spring place plenty of humus on garden beds (at least 1 inch thick) so that moisture and warmth is retained for strong & healthy plant growth over summer.
- Avoid planting brassicas (broccoli, cauliflower) over summer while the white butterfly is prevalent.
- Plant basil under your tomato plants to improve their flavour.
- Humus improves worm activity and soils microorganisms.
- Plant companion plants such as marigolds and calandula in your veggie plot, which helps to attract beneficial insects.
- To keep weeding to a minimum, do not disturb the soil as this activates any dormant weeds. Also remove weeds before they set seed. Lift long taproot weeds carefully, making sure that no broken roots are left to regenerate.
- Worms aerate the soil and do all the hard work for you, they also provide nutrients from their castings while digging over your soil. So the aim is to have a very good worm population, which then equates to a very healthy soil for growing and reducing pests and diseases.